Ever wondered to make money while pressing the buttons on your gamepads. Today I want to tell you the secret behind this. It’s possible and you know what, you can do it. All you need is passion and a console then I can say, “you are good to go”.
Here are the top three ways that video gamers can make money while playing video games:
- Start a Youtube Channel
Another way to earn money to play your favorite games is by starting a YouTube channel (or a blog or podcast, but we'll focus on YouTube as it's the most visual platform).
YouTube is one of, if not the biggest potential earner on this list. PewDiePie (shown below) was the sixth highest-paid YouTuber in 2017, earning a whopping $12 million — and he started with basic video game commentary.
Some things you can do on your YouTube channel to gain a following are:
- Use entertaining commentary and add effects to make your videos more interesting and engaging, as Nightblue3 does.
- Record popular games such as Gary's Mod or Fortnite with your friends and other YouTubers, as VanossGaming does.
- Teach people how to play the game better with guides, tutorials, and commentary explaining why you make certain decisions in the game, as Metaphor does.
- Review new games and help people decide if a game is worth buying or not, as Joseph Anderson does.
- Live stream games and record "Let's Play" style videos where you show off a game or play through the story, as LetsPlay does.
- Stream on Twitch
Twitch is a streaming platform where viewers can watch others play their favorite games.
Popular Twitch streamer Ninja made ~$10 million in 2018 from ads, sponsorships, and Twitch subscribers. And he's not alone — combined, the top 10 Twitch streamers made over $20 million in 2017.
Of course, that's not typical. The average Twitch streamer earns closer to $10,000 to $40,000 per year. Still a decent revenue stream!
To get started making money on Twitch, you must become a Twitch Partner. To do that, you need to have:
- At least 500 total minutes broadcast in the last 30 days.
- At least 7 unique broadcast days in the last 30 days.
- An average of 3 concurrent viewers or more over the last 30 days.
- At least 50 Followers.
Once you become a partner, you can start earning money from subscribers and displaying ads on your channel. Of course, you can also get sponsorships from gaming companies just like you can on YouTube!
Electronic sports (Esports) is gaining popularity recently in the gaming industry. Here you can make a decent revenue by competing in Esports tournaments either online or through attending gaming tournaments in game arenas.
While not a consistent source of money (unless you're extremely talented), winning game tournaments for competitive games like Call of Duty, League of Legends, Fortnite, etc. can net you some serious cash.
One of the world's top e-sports competitive, Timothy Miller (aka "Bizzle"), earns around $322k per year participating in Fortnite tournaments.
This is probably the easiest way to make money playing video games, but also not a big earner unless you're really good at the game and consistently win.
So, guys if you have the passion in video games just like me, why not do this?
Written by: Francis Kikulwe